Relieve headaches and discomfort naturally
Headache is a common condition that causes pain in the head or face. The pain may also radiate to the neck. Headaches seems to be very common to everyone , with the highest prevalence in women.
Other symptoms associated with headaches include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and pain in the face and scalp. Learn what causes headaches and how acupuncture can relieve pain and discomfort.
What causes headaches?
There are many reasons why you might have a headache. Certain triggers can trigger signals between the brain, blood vessels, and nerves that cause blood vessels to constrict and muscles to tighten. this results in pain signals being sent to the brain.
Common causes of headaches include:
Stress triggers the release of the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline that produce physical changes in the body. Stress increases blood pressure and causes blood vessels to constrict. Reduced blood flow to the brain can cause headaches.
- Colds, flu, hay fever, sinusitis, and ear infections can trigger headaches.
- Trauma such as a car accident or a blow to the head.
- eating too much sugar, processed meats (hot dogs, bacon, sausages, deli meats), aged cheeses, pickled foods, certain fruits (especially dried fruits), artificial sweeteners, chocolate and process foods that contain additives, colors, flavor enhancers and preservatives can bring on a headache in some people.
- Skipping meals and not fueling the body and brain sufficiently. This triggers your blood sugar levels to drop, signaling your brain to release certain hormones that tighten blood vessels which can cause a headache.
- Poor posture or sitting hunched over desk for long periods of time can create tension in the neck, shoulders and upper back, often leading to trigger points that can cause pain and a headache
- Excess screen time causes eye strain that can result in a headache around the temples and eyes.
- Dehydration. A lack of fluids can lead to a ‘dehydration headache’ where a pulsating and throbbing ache is felt on both sides of the head.
- Tiredness and lack of sleep.
- Drinking too much caffeine or alcohol. Caffeine withdrawal can also cause a headache.
- Myofascial trigger points (also known as trigger points) are highly sensitive, irritated spots within a muscle band, fascia (connective tissue surrounding organs and muscles) or ligament. They present as “knots” or nodules in the muscles, and cause an aching pain. Types of headaches
There are different types of headaches. however, the three main types of headaches are:
- Tension headaches are the most common type of headache that causes mild to moderate pain in the head, neck, and eyes. People often describe tension headaches as tension on both sides of the head and pressure behind the eyes.
- Cluster headaches are a type of headache that are more severe when the pain is intense and prolonged. The pain is described as a piercing or burning sensation around the eyes and a sharp pain in the head. These are called cluster headaches because they tend to occur around the time of the cluster:
- this can be one to three times a day, lasts from 15 minutes to a few hours, and continues for several weeks or months. Cluster headaches can be debilitating and affect quality of life.
A migraine is another type of severe headache that causes a sharp or stabbing pain. Migraines tend to focus on one side of the head and can also cause other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light. Learn more about acupuncture for migraines.
Can Acupuncture Relieve Headaches?
Acupuncture is a safe and effective way to reduce and prevent headaches. By placing fine, thin needles along acupuncture points on the face, head, neck, shoulders, feet, and hands (between the thumb and forefinger), the nerves under the skin stimulate biological responses. to restore balance to the body.
Acupuncture for headaches helps:
- Reducing sensitivity to pain and stress by triggering the release of endorphins; they are chemical messengers that act on opiate receptors in the brain to reduce stress and pain.
- Reduces inflammation by stimulating the release of vascular and immunoregulatory factors called beta-endorphin, CGRP (calcitonin gene-related peptide), substance P, and cytokines. These neuropeptides (small proteins produced by neurons) have powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
- Promotes physical and mental health by regulating stress hormones in the body (cortisol, serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine). When these hormones are in balance, you will respond and deal with stress much better. Reduced levels of serotonin in the brain have been linked to tension headaches and migraines because it causes blood vessels to constrict Acupuncture helps balance serotonin levels.
- Relax tight neck and shoulder muscles and release trigger points.
How many acupuncture sessions do you need to cure a headache?
As a starting point, we recommend doing one to two acupuncture sessions per week for four to six weeks to relieve headaches. During the first session, the acupuncturist will advise you accordingly after reviewing your medical history, assessing the severity and occurrence of your headaches, and your speed of response to acupuncture. .
Natural headache relief with acupuncture
A headache is a painful and uncomfortable condition that can be caused by poor posture, stress, excessive screen time, and unhealthy eating and living habits. Acupuncture is a very effective way to reduce and prevent headaches by reducing pain and inflammation, relaxing muscles, balancing hormones, and improving circulation and blood flow. Talk to one of our experienced acupuncturists today to learn how to manage your headaches with acupuncture.